Alpha is a series of interactive sessions that explore the basics of the Christian faith. This Fall, churches all over Niagara are preparing to launch many Alpha groups starting the week of September 15. If you’ve been praying for a friend, neighbour, family member or co-worker this summer to come to know Jesus, then it’s also possible you’re starting to wonder about inviting them to Alpha or even hosting a group in your home. If that’s you, here’s what you need to know next.
Alpha is designed for people who wouldn’t typically go to church and those who aren’t yet following Jesus. It’s not that Christians can’t participate, but Alpha works best when Christians are there as part of the team – helping or attending alongside a friend they’ve invited (read more about this in a previous blog). If you want a really deep dive into what Alpha is to help you get the full picture, check out the Alpha website for tons of info, videos and resources. They have everything you need to help you start a new Alpha group!
A summary of what you’ll find on the Alpha website is this:
- Alpha is for anyone!
- Alpha runs for approximately 10-12 weeks.
- Alpha includes food, video teaching, honest conversation and even a weekend away.
- Hosts play the role of conversation facilitators, not theology experts or question “answerers” (pretty sure I made that word up).
- Helpers are there to support in practical and prayerful ways, welcoming people as they arrive – maybe cleaning up after the meal and silently praying as the group discusses together.
- And though you’ll be inviting friends and others to your Alpha, if you “create” your Alpha group on their main website, people in Niagara looking for an Alpha location will be able to join you as well!
For any and all Alpha groups being run in Niagara, Bethany is hosting an Open Team Training on Sep 9, 6:30-9:30 pm. Supper will be provided. For anyone at Bethany who plans to host or help at an Alpha, we cannot recommend this training time enough! Alpha staff will be facilitating the training sessions which will help you better prepare for your Alpha group and the people God plans to impact through your time together.
If you’ve read all this way and want to get involved, here’s what you can do next:
- Let us know you’re interested in hosting or helping with Alpha by filling out an online form.
- Come talk to one of our team at the Next Steps area after any weekend service.
- Keep praying for people you know to come to Jesus and for Alpha this Fall.
If you have further questions feel free to come chat with our team after any weekend service or email email@example.com.